Our vision is to be ‘a growing church community of diverse people’ that is thriving and spiritually forms people to share the good news about Jesus.
We seek to know Jesus and to share the love of Christ with people in our area. We value people of all ages, cultures, personalities and backgrounds and we welcome all people to discover this good news:
The parish of Henley and Grange consists of one parish with two church communities. While these were originally independent parishes, the two churches came together as one parish in 2009.
From the start of 2024, we again have a congregation meeting weekly in each centre: a traditional service at 9am at St Agnes, Grange, and a contemporary service at 11am at St Michael and All Angel’s, Henley Beach. While the two congregations have their distinctive style, the people of the two congregations work together as one parish in pursuit of our vision.
There was a vision for an Anglican ministry in Grange from its early days. The suburb of Grange began in 1878. A land grant was given for a Church of England in around 1881, with the church being built and dedicated in 1885. The Nave was added in 1901 and the Vestry in 1935. The Parish Hall was built in 1924 with a stage and a room for ministry with children.
The church was named after Saint Agnes, a teenage girl who was martyred under Roman rule around 300AD. In addition to its worship services, this church has a long history of running an Op Shop and an annual Spring Fair.
From the time of the building of the church at Grange, there began a desire to build a Church of England in Henley Beach. Services were conducted from Easter 1912, and the church was built in 1922, with a Chancel added in 1934. To enhance the life and ministry of the parish, the hall was built in 1962.
The church is named after St Michael, an angel depicted in Scripture as one who protects God’s people. Throughout its history, St Michael’s has had a high value on being present to the local community.